Past Event: UN - Time to rein in the global trade in tools of torture
UN: Time to rein in the global trade in tools of torture
PANEL EVENT ORGANISED BY OMEGA AND AMNESTY INTERNATIONAL AT THE HUMAN RIGHTS COUNCIL ON 3RD MARCH 2017 URGING GOVERNMENTS TO CLOSE LOOPHOLES IN INTERNATIONAL TRADE LAW THAT ALLOW THE TRADE IN EQUIPMENT USED TO TORTURE DETAINEES. THE ORIGINAL PRESENTATIONS ARE INCLUDED.
WHAT: Panel discussion, “Controlling the use and trade in the tools of torture and repression: towards an international torture trade law.”
- Chaired by H.E. Ambassador Carsten Staur (Denmark)
- Nils Melzer, UN Special Rapporteur on Torture and Other Cruel, Inhuman and Degrading Treatment or Punishment
- Michael Crowley, Research Associate, Omega Research Foundation
- Patrick Wilcken, Researcher on Arms Control and Human Rights at Amnesty International
- Avani Singh, Attorney, Constitutional Litigation Unit, Legal Resources Centre, South Africa
WHERE: Palais des Nations, Geneva, Room XXI
WHEN: Friday 3 March, 2017 15:00-16:00.