CoE Event: Measures against the trade in goods used for the death penalty, torture and other cruel, inhuman or degrading treatment or punishment
The Omega Research Foundation, the German Chairmanship of the Committee of Ministers of the Council of Europe, the Steering Committee for Human Rights (CDDH), and Amnesty International, invite you to a webinar to be held Monday, 17th May 2021, 10:00-13:00 CET.
The event will discuss Measures against the trade in goods used for the death penalty, torture and other cruel, inhuman or degrading treatment or punishment: Implementation of the Council of Europe Recommendation CM/Rec(2021)2.
- Ms Bärbel KOFLER, Commissioner for Human Rights Policy and Humanitarian Assistance, Federal Ministry for Foreign Affairs of Germany, Chair of the Committee of Ministers of the Council of Europe
- Ms Marija PEJČINOVIĆ BURIĆ, Secretary General of the Council of Europe
- Ms Agnès CALLAMARD, Secretary General of Amnesty International
Ms Krista OINONEN (Finnish representative within the Steering Committee for Human Rights(CDDH) and Member of its Bureau) and Mr Christophe POIREL (Director of Human Rights, Council of Europe) will moderate.
Closing remarks will be delivered by Dr. Hans-Jörg BEHRENS (High representative of the German Ministry of Justice, on behalf of the German Chairmanship of the Committee of Ministers).
The first session is a response to the question, How to best implement the Recommendation CM/Rec(2021)2?, and features the following speakers:
- Dr Michael CROWLEY, Omega Research Foundation/CDDH Consultant
- Mr Nico HIRSCH, Member of the CPT elected in respect of Luxembourg (CPT)
- Ms Nicola WENZEL, German representative within the Steering Committee for Human Rights (CDDH) and Rapporteur of the CDDH
- Ms Laura AUGER-PEREZ, Senior Expert, European Commission -Service for Foreign Policy Instruments (FPI)
The second session, addressing How to promote international action to address the trade in goods used for death penalty, torture and other ill-treatment?, includes:
- Ms Anna CROWE, Assistant Director – International Human Rights Clinic, Harvard Law School
- Ms Birgit VAN HOUT, Regional Representative for Europe, UN Human Rights Regional Office for Europe (OHCHR)
- Mr Patrick WILCKEN, Deputy Director, Global Issues Programme, Amnesty International
On 31st March, 2021 at the Council of Europe, the Committee of Ministers adopted a new legal instrument (Recommendation) to address the trade in goods used for torture and other ill-treatment and the death penalty. The Recommendation text and Explanatory Memorandum are available online. The Recommendation provides a framework and guidelines to prohibit the trade in certain, inherently abusive, types of equipment, as well as to control the trade in other types of law enforcement equipment that can be readily misused for torture or other ill-treatment. It also provides guidance on the trade in certain goods used for the death penalty. For more information on these different kinds of equipment, see our ‘Resources’ page, or get in touch.
For more information on the Recommendation and the accompanying Explanatory Memorandum, click here.